Caramel Corn Frozen Yogurt by Jessica Levinson, MS, RDN, CDN
There’s no sweeter way to preserve the summer’s sweet corn than with this Caramel Corn Frozen Yogurt recipe. Enjoy a scoop (or two) and add caramel sauce if you prefer!
Caramel Corn Frozen Yogurt
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Hands Off Time: 4-5 hours
For the caramel sauce: (makes ¼ cup)
- ¼ cup SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Sweetener Blend
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 tablespoon butter (or butter substitute)
For the frozen yogurt:
- 1 cup fresh corn and reserved cob (~ 1 large ear)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup lite coconut milk
- 1/3 cup SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener, Tabletop Jar
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Caramel Sauce (recipe above)
- Optional: Caramel Sauce for serving
To make the caramel sauce:
1. In a small saucepan, combine SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Sweetener Blend and water over medium-high heat. Stir with a fork or small whisk until mixture comes to a boil, about 1 minute.
2. Reduce heat to low and simmer syrup for 3 minutes, swirling the pot occasionally to ensure even caramelization. Mixture will be very foamy, sticky, and white. Remove from heat.
3. Slowly add evaporated skim milk to the pot and whisk immediately.* Return pot to medium-low heat. Whisk in the butter and simmer about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened.** Transfer caramel sauce to a glass bowl or mason jar to cool.
To make the frozen yogurt:
1. Line a one pound loaf pan with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill.
2. Combine corn kernels, corn cob, and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When liquid starts to bubble around the edges reduce heat and simmer milk for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and steep for 30 minutes.
3. Transfer milk and corn to large high-powered blender. Scrape cobs over blender to release remaining pulp and liquid from kernels. Discard cobs and puree milk and corn until smooth.
4. Strain corn puree over a bowl, pressing down to release as much liquid as possible. Discard solids and transfer liquid back to blender or food processor.
5. Add yogurt, coconut milk, 1/3 cup of SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener, Tabletop Jar; salt, and vanilla to blender and puree.
6. Pour yogurt mixture into chilled loaf pan and freeze, stirring every 20 minutes for 90 minutes to 2 hours.
7. Drizzle about 1 tablespoon of prepared caramel sauce over yogurt and use a butter knife to swirl it into the frozen yogurt. Freeze again for another 2 to 3 hours, until firm.
8. Remove frozen yogurt from the freezer to thaw for 10 to 15 minutes before scooping. Serve drizzled with caramel sauce.
*The addition of milk will make the syrup bubble up, so be sure to use caution when adding the milk.)
** Caramel will continue to thicken once it’s removed from the heat, so be sure not to overcook.
Caramel sauce can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to two months. Bring to room temperature before stirring into frozen yogurt.
Per ½ cup with ~1 teaspoon caramel sauce (using up all the caramel sauce)
Total Fat: 4.5 g
Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 10 mg
Sodium: 530 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 20 g
Dietary Fiber: 0 g
Sugars: 12 g
Protein: 6 g
Vitamin A: 4%
Vitamin C: 2%